How To Protect Eyes When Working With Computer
Nearly every area of our life is computerized now. Computers are everywhere and some of us have to spend up to 12-14 hours in front of a computer screen. This is very harmful for eyes and causes eye fatigue, redness, itching and gradual worsening of vision. The best thing to do to prevent these symptoms is to stay away from a computer which is impossible for some people due to a variety of reasons.
However, you can use a few simple tips to protect your eyes when working with a computer:
1. Organize you work place properly.
- Check illumination. Make sure you don’t work in a dark room. Place your computer so that glaring, reflection and flickering of light don’t bother you.
- Determine the optimal distance from the screen to your eyes and stick to it.
- Remember that your monitor should be at a level slightly below the horizontal eye level. Tilt the screen a little away from yourself.
- Ensure that your monitor’s contrast is properly adjusted.
- Keep your screen clean from dust and fingertips.
- If you can’t see the icons on the screen or symbols in your text well, make them larger.
2. Take breaks during work.
No matter how urgent you work is your eyesight is more important. So, take short breaks every half an hour or once in an hour (but the more often you take breaks, the better). Take 5 minutes every 30 minutes or 10 minutes every hour. Look at a distant object or, if this is possible, get up and move around for a few minutes.
3. Do special eye gymnastics.
It sounds weird and complicated but actually is quite easy and doesn’t take long. Besides, you can do exercises for eyes wherever you want, including your work place. (See 5 Most Effective Exercises For Eyes).
4. Do palming.
Palming is a yogic technique which helps to relax nervous system and preserve eyesight. Rub your palms together until you feel warmth between them. Then cover your eyes with palms. Make sure your fingers overlap on your forehead. Relax. Stay in this position as long as you can but the minimum time is 30 seconds. Optimum time is 4 minutes but if you feel you need to do it longer, proceed with it. You can do no harm to your eyes with a palming procedure. It is advisable to think about something that makes you happy during palming.
5. Blink more often.
When people gaze at something (including a monitor) for a long time they tend to blink rarely which makes eyes dry and irritated. So, blink more often when you work at a computer.
6. Use eye drops.
Eye drops are great for making your eyes wetter if you forget to blink and your eyes get too dry. You can use eye drops if your eyes are already irritated (Visit a doctor to determine which drops are the best for you).
These tips are really helpful in protecting eyes when you work at a computer. But even if you use them regularly you should visit a doctor at least once in six months to check your eye health. Good luck!
Leave a Reply